Finding the discipline not to reach for the biscuits and pig out on a filling, carb heavy dish as the weather grows colder is extremely hard. I am definitely noticing the need to comsume heart warming food now that summer is a thing of the past. What happens to our body during this “season of wind” is the air becomes very cold, dry and irregular which can unsettle our bodies resulting in becoming ungrounded and out of balance. The body becomes easily tired as we get back to the schedule of reality and say goodbye to the liberation of summer. Getting back to our routines can be overwhelming and stressful and that can also impact the physiological body.
The great news is, at this time of year some of the most wonderful and delicious root vegetables come into their own. These veg have the energetic quality of grounding you and expelling any anxiety in the mind or irritation in the digestive tract. Their connection with the earth having been grown in it, allow you to find balance and calm from the earthy properties. By roasting them or whizzing them into soup you can enhance their warm and dense qualities. A little tip I got from a good friend of mine is to make your own sweet potato crisps;
- Heat oven to 200°F with two racks.
- Line two baking pans with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Slice potato crosswise, as thin as possible.
- Arrange the slices on the prepared sheets, and keep them from touching as much as possible.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 50 minutes.
- Slices will dehydrate and shrink; turn chips over, and rotate baking sheets if needed for even cooking.
- Cook until slices are crisped and fluted around the edges and the centers are still orange, not brown, 30 to 40 more minutes.
- Transfer to cooling racks, and cool chips on baking sheets.
- (Chips will be soft when removed from oven and will crisp as they cool.) Store in an airtight container, at room temperature, up to 3 days.
I cannot recommend “ABEL AND COLE” enough for their amazing organic vegetable and fruit boxes that are delivered to your door each week. You can pick and choose what veggies you want and your first box is free…..I have three codes so if you are interested and live in the UK, just get in touch with me firstname.lastname@example.org and the first three who do, I will send the discount codes to!
In my classes this week, I will be focussing on grounding, deepening and earth connecting postures. I will be devising a sequence to maintain your roots and stay energised. I know how hard it is sometimes to motivate yourself to get changed and go to yoga especially when it’s dark but just remember how fantastic and restored you feel afterwards. Find that discipline to take care of your body and your mind. Instead of reaching for the biscuits, energise yourself the right way. Beat the blues and consequently beat the bulge!! Yoga + Being Healthy = Happy
Namaste yogis and yoginis